Dave Joerger recognizes a gift when he sees it. After the Memphis Grizzlies escaped Phoenix Monday by a final score of 102-101, the head coach was blunt in his assessment (quotes courtesy of Fox Sports South):
“We’re lucky. You know we’re happy because we got out of here with a win in a game, where ya know – probably it should have gone the other way.”
You gotta respect that kind of self-awareness.
Joerger didn’t, however, fail to recognize that the Grizzlies did some stuff to make the luck happen:
When we were down late – 7, 8, we executed finally. Obviously Jeff (came) up with a big play.
Some other notes on the Grizz:
- Memphis now moves to 36-12 on the season and sits a full 3 games ahead of Houston in 2nd place in the Western Conference. The Grizz are 2.5 games behind Golden State.
- The win was Memphis’ 7th consecutive.
- The Jeff Green trade seems to be working out doesn’t it?
- Green didn’t have a great shooting night, but finished with 12 points and 7 rebounds – including the go-ahead 3-point play with 4.5 seconds remaining.
- Zach Randolph – who has been on a tear of late – missed a double/double by 1 rebound. He finished with 19 and 9.
- The Grizz continue their road trip on Wednesday night at Utah. 8pm.